Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Euthyroid Graves' in 1993?

Years ago I lived in Mexico, in a part where it was well above 100°F each day. I sweat so much my shirt would have salt crystals on it after a day, and finally started having trouble climbing stairs. I would have to pull myself up stairs with both hands on the railing because my legs just weren't working. A doctor listened to me for a minute and declared that I needed more potassium, and darned if potassium supplements and a lot of Pedialyte didn't whip me back into shape.

It being Mexico, I walked everywhere and ate well, so I lost almost 40 pounds in just a few months. I felt great—no signs or symptoms of hyperthyroidism. But some lymph nodes in my neck swelled a bit, and I came down with what I told my husband was pinkeye.

The photo at left is one of the few I have from that time. It is not terribly obvious,although I can tell that there was swelling around both eyes. 28 at the time, my eyes weren't as dramatically swollen as they get these days, thanks to better collagen, I suppose. I was laughing about the "salchicha" they served with my waffle. I was under the illusion that it would be sausage. It's not. It never is, no matter how one hopes. It's the usual mixture of nitrites and pig lips.

So, this was a pinkeye that lasted for months, and on which antibiotics had no effect. My upper lids were both swollen and my eyes were red and gritty feeling, although they did not become sticky with purulent matter. None at all. It finally went away a few months after I returned to the states.

Now, what was that all about?

No comments:

About Moi

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
Le blog, c'est moi