Monday, April 21, 2008

April labs: hooray!

I just said that I was hoping for a TSH between one and two, and free T4 and free T3 in mid-range, away from the subclinical hyopthyroid realm. Well the endo's nurse just called and that has happened, although free T4 is still a bit low. Here is the progression, with latest results in bold:

TSH went from below 0.05 -> 0.17 -> 3.81 -> 3.28 -> 1.87

Free T4 went from 1.3 -> 0.7 -> 0.6 -> 0.7 -> 0.8

Free T3 went from 5.2 to 2.5 -> 2.4 -> 2.8 -> 3.0

Last month's score was after switching to PTU at 50 mg. twice a day.

This month's score follows taking PTU at 50 mg. once a day.

I don't have a lab draw again until mid-July, along with a visit to the endo. I am weaning off the propranolol and stepping up the exercise. Also working on eliminating bad, processed food from my diet, to heal the immune system. Between that and a summer spent working at home, gardening, painting, etc., I hope to put active disease behind me.

3 comments:

kelly said...

Hi- Good for you!!

More questions:

When my endo hands me my lab report it only has the following:

Thyroxine, Free
TSH (3rd generation)

I had my appt with him this past Tuesday and I requested that he add the T4 and T3 on my next lab report which will be in May.


What on your lab work equates with the stuff on mine? Or am I getting something totally different? This last time I am pretty close to hypo as well. But I don't feel that different.

Also, when you are lowering your PTU dose- it's b/c your doc said so? Or are you doing it based on how you feel?

Also, I must say that I have really watched my diet- eliminating most of the processed crap, no caffiene or sodas of any kind and I really do feel so much better. I think you will too! Plus, I am watching my salt intake. I switched from regular peanutbutter to Almond butter with no salt. My kids like it- don't really know the difference from the peanutbutter and it has no salt. Do you have Trader Joe's where you are? That is a great place to find yummy things and it's not super expensive either.

Great news for you,
Kelly

Unknown said...

Hi Kelly,

You are missing free T3, since thyroxine is T4. Since T3 is more potent and an end product of T4, it is more important to know.

I also have a liver panel (AST, ALT, etc.) done and a white blood count, to monitor for bad side effects of the ATDs.

I lowered my PTU dosage on my own. I am a nurse, so hopefully he will forgive me. I need to inform my endocrinologist, so he can think about this and revise his thinking, if need be.

I lowered my dosage in reaction to the "almost hypo" labs in January. Did the same with Tapazole and informed him.

Thanks for the diet advice. Funny, but a friend and I just hit Trader Joe's last week and I brought home a big jar of almond butter. Is there a reason to leave off the peanut butter, though? Peanuts areb a goitrogen and can be useful in reignning in the naughty thyroid.

Unknown said...

Oops--I meant you are missing T4 in your labs.

About Moi

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
Le blog, c'est moi