Friday, January 18, 2008

January 8 labs

Well, now the labs suggest why I have begun to feel good the last week: they're back in normal range, except for TSH, which will take some time to come up to the 1–2 range desired. I don't actually know what the values are, as the doctor's office forgot to enclose them, but normal free T3 and T4, as well as AST, ALT, CBC and creatinine sound good to me.

"Continue Tapazole at your current dosage" the letter instructed.

I need to be careful not to go hypothyroid, lest the eyes get worse.

Another problem: my heart still skips and does nutty stuff. The heart palpitations must have kicked in at some level that constituted a subclinical problem, and which has not yet been resolved.

Eyes are as annoying as ever. I read someplace that they will continue to bother me for as long as the TSH receptor antibodies are active, and I will continue to be somewhat moody during that time, too. Quick—where's an anti-antibody pill?

Update 1-19-08: The labs came: TSH now 0.17 uIU/mL (lower limit 0.3). Free T4: 0.7 ng/dL (normal range 0.6–1.2). Free T3: 2.5 pg/mL (range: 2.1–4.1).

So TSH went from below 0.05 to 0.17
Free T4 went from 1.3 to 0.7
Free T3 went from 5.2 to 2.5

Antibodies, from November:

TPO: normal, at 1 IU/mL (0–11 normal range)
TRAb: 24% (>= 16% is considered positive)

The bummer is a creatinine a hair high and an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) a hair low, at 52. It's never been off before, so hopefully this represents a temporary kick to the kidneys from all the prescribed drugs, and not a real problem with incipient kidney failure.

Second update: The reduced eGFR probably was related to the muscle wasting going on (hard to climb stairs) and maybe even to reduced kidney perfusion from the beta blocker I was on. I need two more poopy eGFRs before I need to worry about "weak kiddleys."

No comments:

About Moi

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
Le blog, c'est moi