Friday, January 4, 2008

Slogging through the snow

My endocrinologist told me not to exercise while recovering from the mild hyperthyroidism (which still seems to be simmering, masked by the InnoPran). Well nuts to that, I finally said, and took my son up the hill in our back 40 for some sledding. I thought I would keel over from the sheer effort needed to walk through shin deep snow up that hill.

Then the sled wouldn't slide because the snow was all wrong, but that's another story.

Anyhow, here comes my husband, trucking along in snowshoes with a pole, zooming past my floundering figure. That is just so unlike us. He flounders, I zoom, ordinarily.

After he got back tot he house, he sent our son out to me with snowshoes. Well, that turned everything into cake. So maybe I'm not as debilitated as I feared . . . I just needed my own pair of snowshoes.

Update: 1-5-07: Last night, about 2 hours after I climbed that hill, my heart started beating like the drum solo in "Take Five." All kinds of crazy beats, probably PACs, or premature beats of the upper heart chambers. You know, that skipped beat and then the extra hard thud of the heart. With runs of 6 and 7, it got me a little nervous, although it calmed down during my sleep.

This has happened before, on days when I would walk the length of a parking lot and up and down the halls of my school (I like to park far away from doors). By the time I sat down and got my computer booted up, the PACs came on for a few hours, despite a full dose of beta blockers.

Now, how does that work? I know that exercise boosts secretion of thyroid hormones, but the heart beats erratically because the excess thyroid hormone causes more epinephrine and norepinephrine receptors to form, not because of a flood of thyroid hormone per se. I wonder what the mechanism of this reaction to exercise was—new beta adrenergic receptors formed within hours? A delay in blocking? Some other hitch in the pharmacokinetics of the propranolol?

Anyhow, it is not fun to have your heart keep you awake.

No comments:

About Moi

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
Le blog, c'est moi